Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Want to have chinese food: Go to Wonton


I am big time foodie (I am 125 kgs so there are certainly no points for guessing that) but I do not particularly enjoy Chinese cuisine. If we are eating out and I am asked to pick a place, I won't pick a chinese restaurant....unless it is "The Wonton" at Gachibowli, Hyderabad.

There are several, very famous restaurants in Hyderabad, which serve chinese food. There is Mainland China, Aromas of China, Shanghai Chef etc. I am not suggesting that those places are not good. I am sure that the people who enjoy chinese food must be frequenting those places. However, I feel that "The Wonton" is special as it attracts my "crazy-about-chinese-food" wife as well as me, who is not so crazy about chinese food.

The place is at Gachibowli, Hyderabad (on top of Dominos and close of ICICI and HDFC banks). I will not say that the ambience is out of this world but it is not a cheap, shady chinese restaurant as well. The place is nice and clean. It is the food that is simply great.

Whenever we go there, we order a standard selection.....Honey Crisp Chicken (it is for those who do not mind a little bit of sweetness in their food), Veg Chilly Garlic Noodles, another chicken dish (more often that not, we zero upon "Dragon Chicken" and Diet Coke. This order has become embarrassingly standard. So much that sometimes the waiters do not take our order at all. They come to our table, show the order-slip and confirm the order. Most often, they are correct!!! Usually I experiment a lot with my food but not at The Wonton. It is not that the other dishes are not good. It is just that we do not like to miss the opportunity of having Honey Crisp Chicken and Veg Chilly Garlic Noodles by ordering anything else!!!

There are three other reasons why I like the place. The first is that it has clean loos!!! Now that is something that several restaurants do not take care of. Another reason is that the staff is very friendly and responsive. And the value for money is pretty good as well. I won't say that the place is inexpensive but one does not mind shelling out something extra for decent ambience abd great food.

Now I would stop praising the restaurant as people may think that either I own the place or I am getting a commission from them to promote the place. Here, I would like to add one thing that I do not like about the place and that is the music they play. Not that they play loud, item songs. They play some chinese music and I find the selection extremely annoying. So guys, if you are listening, please change that CD.

Happy eating!!!

Note: If you are going to "The Wonton", please do not miss Honey Crisp Chicken. It is heavenly and believe me that you would thank me for suggesting the dish. 

For other recommended place, please visit:

No comments: