Thursday, April 16, 2009

Where to eat and what to eat

The idea behind this blog is not to suggest restaurants. Usually, I pick a restaurant based on what I am feeling like having. The following list has the details of the places that I regularly visit (Hyderabad) as well as what I like to have over there (you are free to take a cue);


  • Fusion 9. I love the lamb lasagna over there. It is a great restaurant with pretty good ambience. The food is slightly on the costlier side but good things never come cheap. Good place for an evening dinner. Not so quiet though.
  • Shanbagh. I like the "Tomato Bath" over there. I am talking about the Shanbagh (old one) on Panjagutta circle (between Hyderabad Central and Bajaj Electronics). It is a typical "tiffins" or "meals' place. Great place to have breakfast, given you like south indian dishes. The ambience is pretty basic though. They do have an AC restaurant. Crowd is decent and so one can go with family.
  • Paradise. Obviously the chicken biryani.
  • Green Park. I go over there for the "Midnight Biryani". I am not crazy about their biryani but its the chicken haleem thats great. I must admit that I have never tasted haleem at an authentic haleem place. I have always tried it at star hotels. Green Park is my favorite
  • Tiwary Brothers. I go over there for kachauri, jalebi and...........a dose of bhojpuri!!! It is not a restaurant but just a sweet shop (pretty big one at that) on the Khairatabad junction. You must try the Kachauris and jalebis over there. The staff is from eastern UP or Bihar. Their talks take me back to my hometown. Kabhi Bihar U.P aakar dekho, mehmaan ko hum bhagwaan ki tarah maante hain!!!
  • Anji's. Poori-Bhaaji. Don't pull out your hair trying to locate this place. It is just a stall run by a guy named Anji. The place is right on top of Nagarjuna Hills. The stall is right infront of the old building of ICFAI Business School (the place I did my MBA from). I had breakfast/lunch on the stall daily, for almost two years!!! It has an emotional connect as well. Do not know whether it is still there or not. I last went there two years back.
  • Suprabhata. Gobi Rice is a must have. Another one of those lesser known "meals" places. Its right there on the Punjagutta junction. Its Gobi Rice is popular even outside Hyderabad. But it is a pretty small place. Suitable only for bachelors. Otherwise get it packed and take it home. Ya, they provide veg curry with gobi-rice. Ask for sambar instead.
  • Bombay Blues. I must have had their "Cheesy Chicken Pasta" with beer a zillion times. Their "Sizzling Chilly Chicken" is great as well. Nice restaurant with good ambience. Its in Hyderabad Central.
  • Ohri's Gufaa. Talwaar Kabab is simply awesome.

There are several other places that I like and frequent(Tabla, Barbecue Nation, Utsav, Zafraan, Chhatees.....) but there is no particular dish that has appealed to me. I will keep trying!!!

And ya, there is another place that is pretty good for "Chilly Paneer", "Chicken Biryani", "Rajma Chawal", "Chocolate Cake" and several other things. Its my place. (paani mein rahna hai to magar (read: my wife) se bair nahi rakhunga). You are most welcome.

1 comment:

~anu~ said...

fooooooodie!! same pinch! :) and am fond of chilly paneer, chocolate cake, etc. place too. :)