Monday, July 14, 2014

Whats special about Ranchi?

Every time I am traveling to India, colleagues in office ask to bring anything. That makes me start thinking what would be that special something that I can bring back.

From Kuala Lumpur,  where I am working and staying right now, I typically travel to Ranchi (my hometown) via Kolkata. There are no direct flights to Ranchi. Ranchi, the capital of the state of Jharkhand, is a small town. The place lacks good infrastructure. That was the reason why Jharkhand was separated from Bihar in year 2000. Not that much has changed or got any better. Pretty sad looking malls have come up, population has increased, vehicles on the roads have increased. However, the infrastructure is still poor.....extremely poor.

There is nothing special that is made in Ranchi. It is not known for any special sweets, dish....nothing. Tribal handicraft is there but it is not anything great. Moreover,  am sure my colleagues do not mean handicrafts when they make such requests.

During this trip, I tried really hard to find something special. Something unique. And something that can last the long journey back. But I couldn't think of anything!!! That was depressing.

Is there nothing special about the place? Then why do people live here? Why do people visit the place? The weather used to be really good but no longer. Then why do I visit the place whenever I come to India? Why do I want to visit only Ranchi if I am making a short trip to India?

I have lived a nomadic life, mainly thanks to my father's transferable job. Couple of years in Gurdaspur, Udhampur, Bangalore, few years in Bareilly, ten years in Ranchi, ten years in Hyderabad and now few years in Kuala Lumpur. The longest I have stayed at any place has been in Ranchi. Spent the last leg of my school life as well as my graduation days in Ranchi. Made a lot of friends.  Learnt about the world outside an army cantonment. Ranchi has been special.

Ranchi smells different too. Most people may only smell the 'aroma' of overflowing trash cans. But I smell home. It may not be known for ANYTHING but Ranchi is home and so....would always be SPECIAL.

No comments: