Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Movie Marathon

Watched 5 movies today!!!! Must be a record for me. I do have such movie marathons sometimes but I do not think I have ever watched 5 movies in a day.

I started with 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. It is a highly acclaimed and popular movie by Martin Scorsese. Had high expectations from the movie due to the director and the lead actor i.e., Leonardo Dicaprio. I must say that I did not quite like the movie as much as I expected. The movie is about a stock broker who has this unsatisfying hunger of getting rich. He is also a robinhood of sorts for his employees. He does drugs and women like people breathe. It has a predictable storyline and the performances are not anything special. It has fetched Leonardo a Golden Globe (I am told), so clearly mine is not a popular opinion.

Then I watched the 'Grudge Match'. It is a movie about two champion boxers who used to be arch rivals. They get old but they still do not see eye-to-eye. Hence a 'grudge match' is arranged. Again, a very predictable storyline. I watched the movie as it stars Robert De Niro and Sylvestor Stallone. I like the later and truly admire the former. Moreover, both of them have played extremely popular roles as boxers in the past. I expected the movie to be funny, which it is. But it is not hahaha kind of funny. Moreover, it is not gripping. Not the best work of either actors and not the best movie that I watched today.

Then I watched 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty'. It is a movie about a 'Negative Assets Manager' in Life magazine. The guy is shy, introvert, always drags himself in awkward/embarrassing situations and is a DAY DREAMER. The part is played by Ben Stiller, who is also the director of the movie. Ben Stiller has played similar roles in the past. There is something about Mary, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Duplex....you name them. But this movie is different. It is not a comedy. Or lets say that the movie wont tickle  you but it will bring a smile on your face. Sean Penn plays a cameo in the movie. Overall, the movie is interesting and not predictable but still does not have a strong story. My wife did not like the movie. But.....I did. I could relate to the shy, introverted day-dreamer!!!

Then I watched a long due movie that I wanted to watch in theaters and in 3D. GRAVITY!! Extremely gripping story. Nice cast (Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, who has a small but extremely good role). I really liked the first half but the second half started to drag a little. Getting sucked into space from one space station.....then reaching another space station.....and then another one.....and then landing on earth was too much to digest. They could have added a crocodile or a lake monster in the lake Sandra Bullock finally lands in but thankfully did not do that!!!! Overall, good engaging movie that could have been better.

And then I watched 'The Purge'. The movie was recommended by a colleague, whose last recommendation ('The Iceman') was not bad at all. The movie stars Ethan Hawke (not the greatest ingredient for a so-called good dish). The movie is about a scenario in United States of 2022, where the government legalizes any crime (including murder) in a 12-hour window, once a year!!!! What was I thinking!!! Do not want to waste more time on this movie so lets just say.....STUPID STUPID MOVIE!!!

No comments: