Saturday, June 23, 2012

Just in case....


Background Information 1: There is a taxi stand in front of my office. Cab drivers keep sitting over there and there are some 'regular faces' as well.

Background Information 2: I seldom take a cab from the taxi stand. My place is pretty close to my office and in a cab, I can reach my place in minimum fare (3 MYR). However, the cab drivers standing in the stand and passing time, typically ask for more. They say that they will not use the meter and typically ask for double the amount. Hence, I do not take cab from the stand. I just wait for a cab to drop someone in the office complex and then approach the driver.

Background Information 3: It seems that the 'regular faces' in the taxi stand have noticed that I do not come to them and they do not like it. One particular cab driver, a Malay guy, passes comments whenever I cross him. I usually walk to my place so I cross the taxi stand everyday. And more often than not, I find him there and he says something or makes gestures to indicate that he does not like me. I have never heard/understood what he says as I generally listen to music when I walk and I do not understand Malay. Though I do not like it and many  a times I have thought about stopping and asking the guy what is his problem but I have always finally decided to ignore him.

Background Information 4: Once I did approach the guy to drive me to my place. It had been a hectic day and I was also not feeling well. I was prepared to pay extra as long as I reached home as early as possible. And his was the only cab available in the stand at the moment. He refused and asked me to look for a 'metered cab' but he said that in an extremely rude manner. Normally, I would react to such things but I again chose not to react. This is an alien country and I have always been warned by the people (Indians as well as locals) to stay away from any kind of conflict with the cab drivers. This is the only time we have talked.

Yesterday's Incident: Yesterday, when I was walking to my office, the guy twice tried to hit me with his cab!!! I was crossing the approach road to Mont Kiara Pines Condo to go towards Plaza Mont Kiara, when I noticed a cab speeding towards me. I had to back a few steps to escape the speeding vehicle. Though I found this annoying and it was dangerous, I did not find it very serious (after all I am an Indian and you do come across such crazy drivers quite often). I just thought that someone is in maddening rush and is driving rashly. Then the guy took a U-turn. This time around I noticed that it is the same Malay cab driver. He again came towards me in high speed and I had to run and jump on the sidewalk to save myself!!! He stopped and gave me a stare. I went to him. He pulled down the window. I asked him, "What is wrong with you?" He said, "nothing is wrong". I asked, "then why did you try to hit me?". He replied, "I did not hit you". I said, " I know you did not hit me but you tried doing that twice". Then he started saying things to me in Malay. And I said a few things to him in Hindi.

I really do not know what have I done to piss the guy enough to try and run me down. We have never had any arguments. I just do not hire cab from him. That is because he and his friends ask for more money. So if you want to hit me with your car just because I do not want to be cheated by you, that is insane!!! Some people believe that he is crazy. Some think that it is a case of racism. Whatever it is, it is pretty strange!!!

So far, I have been ignoring all his provocations. However, now since this guy is being violent in this manner, I thought I would keep a record of this. So guys, if something happens to me in Malaysia (I go missing/ I am killed/ suffer injuries), the cab driver of the green cab (registration number HWD 7488) is to be blamed!!! He has tried to hit me with his car twice and he may try again.  

Next time this happens, I would go to the cops. 

No comments: