Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Trip to Bidar

As I have mentioned/complained a zillion times in my blog, there are not many places worth visiting around Hyderabad. Weekends can get really boring. Among the handful of places around Hyderabad where one can go do, Bidar is one place. I have been staying at Hyderabad since last 7 years but I had never been to Bidar. Thanks to the mixed reviews. Some people say that the old fort is amazing and so is the drive but many others suggest that the place is not worth going!!! As I was out of options anyways, I made up my mind that I will go over there…as soon as the weather gods permit. Around two weeks back, I woke up on a Saturday morning to a cloudy day outside. We were immediately on the road.

Bidar is a small town close to Hyderabad. Though it is just 150 kms away from Hyderabad, it falls in Karnataka. The drive
was great…the roads are not too bad and there is not much traffic. The weather was good that day. There are plenty of road side dhabas on the way, if one wants to stop for a tea or kaapi. However, don’t expect anything too great or a neat and clean dhaba. They are what they are….road-side dhabas.

The fort is big but there is nothing much to do over there. For the shutterbugs like me, the walls and the huge doors present good opportunities to click a picture or two but again….there is not much. There is a small museum there as well…..but its SMALL
Apart from the fort, there is a famous Gurudwara. We had a hard time locating the place. When we reached there, we did not know what to do. Me and my wife had never been to a Gurudwara before and were confused. So we left quickly.
There is another temple in Bidar. I guess it is in a cave and for reaching the place, one has to cross a “underground pond” (that’s how it was explained to me), which is filled with cockroaches. Moreover, there are bats in the cave!!! Bats…..I don’t like bats. So we gave the temple a miss. In any case, swimming through a pond filled with cockroaches was not too exciting as well.
On the way back, we stopped at an AP Tourism restaurant… “Haritha”. It was pretty decent.

We went to Bidar and came back in 6 hours. Not a bad option at all on a rainy/cloudy day.

No comments: