Thursday, June 28, 2007

Canon: Customer Delight

It was just about two and half years back that I felt that I should buy a camera. Back then, I had limited knowledge of these equipments (I would like to believe that it has changed over the period!!!!) but I had a strong desire as photography had always intrigued me. I bought a Canon A75 camera as I had used my sister's Canon A70 and was pretty familiar with the functioning.

The camera was my soulmate for around two years but just when I got married, it decided to make way for the new soulmate. It developed some problem and it's LCD blacked out. I thought that I have lost my camera forever :(

Around 20 days back, I decided that I will try and get the camera repaired. I stepped out of my place to take the camera to a Canon Service Center but on locating a Canon dealer on the way, I took the camera him. The guy told me that the problem was with the CCD and it will take 21 days (nothing more and nothing less) and 3,500/-INR to get the camera repaired. I was like....WOW!!!.....I was thinking that it will cost me much more, if at all a repair was possible. The "21 days" timeline did surprise me. After all, we all are pretty used to hearing "time lagega, sir" in such cases. But I thought that Canon, being such a huge name in camera space, must have set time for various types of repair. I felt pretty bad to leave my beloved camera behind. I still did that thinking that it will be worth it as my camera will make a recovery and come back to me.

On the 17th day, I gave the dealer a call to enquire whether I will be getting back my camera on the 21st day. I was pretty excited about getting my camera back. To my surprise I got the answer that I had expected initially..."time lagega, sir". I was told that it would take at least ten more days and in some cases it takes three months also!!!! Now, if I say that I was pretty pissed on this answer then it will be a huge understatement!!! I had plans to use the camera on a vacation in July. I asked for the owner and questioned him that how come I was not communicated. He did not have an answer to that but he simply said that in such cases, it takes time. Dude, if it takes time, you should at least let the customer know. May be I would not have given the camera for repair at all!!!!

I made up my mind that I will file a case in the consumer forum....supreme court....take the matter to the media...the President....American President and anyone who can help. But I started with filing a complaint on the Canon website. While doing that I noticed a customer service call center number. I gave them a call and explained them my problem. I was immediately asked to have a talk with the India Customer Service Head and the Andhra Pradesh Customer Service Manager (I stay at Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh). I had a talk with the AP Manager and I was told that in half an hour I will be given the status. To my surprise, in 10 minutes the dealer (!!!) called up and said that he will deliver the camera on the next day (a good three days short of the initially communicated delivery date)!!!! Post that, I received a call from the AP Manager and some other official too and they apologized for the mishap. They suggested that for any customer service related issues or repairs, one should reach out to Canon Service Center. I was very happy with the quick response from Canon. But it did not end there. They delighted me by telling me that I would not be charged anything for the service and the dealer will bear the expenses!!!!

I saved 3,500 Rupees and got my camera in time simply because I dont have the "chalta hai" attitude. A lot of people would not have made all that effort and would have accepted the dealer's bullshit. But in the process, I came to know that Canon not only makes super cool cameras but also provides super cool service to its customers. Kudos to Canon!!!!


1 comment:

~anu~ said...

mera camera bhi theek karwa do please :(