Saturday, March 24, 2007

Death of a devotee.

I had never thought that I will ever be writing anything like this. Just to give you a background, I am a big fan of Sachin Tendulkar. I have fought for him each time he was criticised, I have cried for him on several occassions. In India, Cricket is considered a religion and Sachin is the GOD. To me, he was always bigger than the game. But today, I feel let down as there is something bigger than him too and thats...... the nation. Sachin Tendulkar owed me a World Cup win. He is undoubtedly a great cricketer....one of the all time best but still he could not get us the coveted trophy. I totally understand that its a game and players can falter but this time he faltered when it mattered the most.
And now Sachin, what are you waiting for. You may have a few years of cricket still left in you but what will you give back to the nation...may be a series win against Bangladesh...a few more centuries....Is that all we expect from you? I think, its time to hang your boots...at least from the shorter version of the game. You may want to sign off in style but you have just missed that opportunity.
Having said all that, I will still respect you for all that you have done. I will still fight for you as you are the greatest that Indian Cricket has ever seen.

2 comments:

~anu~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~anu~ said...

Jadeja came on NDTV and said couple of things, thought i might share one of those here.
".. you give your best player the slot he wants, and he does the job for you. sachin was never performing in middle order when he was as you say PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY THERE, you gave him the opening slot and rest was history. he still dislikes middle order and enjoys opening, but just to accomodate all other players you want in the team, you ask your best players to change their batting position.. this is unfair..."
he sure didnt perform, but i still appreciate him for all the good years he has given to indian cricket and feel that in place of giving us the much desired world cup, he deserved to win one for himself..too bad that could not happen. i still love Sachin!!