Friday, February 2, 2007

Amma

Amma is my grandmother. She has been a guiding force in my life. During my childhood, she used to tell me stories that inculcated high values in me (At least, I would like to believe that they managed to do that!!!!). I have cried on her patriotic and emotional stories but believe me, I have learnt a lot from them too. My childhood has been full of such stories and lessons.

Once an old beggar came to amma's place while she was getting out of the house to watch a movie. All the kids, including my father, were very excited as watching movies used to be a luxury back in those days. The beggar seemed very hungry and asked for food. The group was getting late for the movie so amma told the beggar that they are going out. The beggar said that he would wait and he lied down on the porch. The group left for the movie but the image of the hungry old beggar kept haunting amma. Mid-way she asked the rickshaw-wallah to return to the house, much to the anguish of the excited children. They returned back and amma gave food to the beggar. The old beggar was happy and amma was relieved. She could not have enjoyed the movie when an old man was waiting for her to return and give him food. Thats my amma. Today, I am sure that I would do the same thing but a lot others won't. I have inherited it from amma, my amma.

No comments: