Saturday, July 13, 2019

Should Indian Captain for Limited Overs Cricket Change?

Read a news article that there is a rift in the Indian cricket team and two camps have emerged - one with Kohli and Shastri and the other led by Rohit Sharma. The article mentioned that some team members are not happy and they desire a change in leadership. While I believe that (a) the story is work of fiction and (b) one bad match should not result in stripping Kohli of captaincy, I also think that handing Sharma the captaincy in shorter format is not a bad option. My reasons are (a) dependence on Dhoni for DRS (b) lack of flexibility and willingness to try new players/combinations and (c) slight biasedness towards certain players (d) failure to build a strong middle order and (e) failure to realize that some players no longer are fit for the team. I still like Kohli as a Captain and batsman but it would not hurt to try something new. However, I do not think selectors would do it.

No comments: