Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Strange Incident

Strange incident happened today. While walking to the office, a girl approached me and asked for a favor. She was Malaysian and must have been in her 20s. She told me that the petrol light of her car (a metallic silver Myvi) is blinking and she needs some help. I noticed that an older woman was sitting in the back seat and seemed to be holding a baby. I could not really understand what the girl really wanted. Honestly, I expected that she would ask where the nearest fuel station was. Instead she asked me for money!!!

She told me that she has 6 ringgits only (!!!) with her, which is not sufficient for buying petrol. She also told me that she is going to Johor, which did not register in my mind immediately. Johor is FAR away.

So, to sum up their situation, 2 women left their house with a baby for Johor (which is around 4 hours away). They did not care to check the petrol level before leaving. And all they carried was 6 Ringgits between the two of them for the journey (there are several toll booths on the way)!!!

This sounded stupid and fishy at the same time. I was thinking if she is making all this up. But she looked pretty decent and did not come across as a person who would try and dupe an Indian (we are 'generally' cheap and miserly) near a police station. And she did look anxious and flustered. However, as I said, the story was indeed stupid and fishy.

I asked her how much does she need and she said 40 Ringgits. That is not a lot of money but 'practical' people generally do not give that much money to strangers with a stupid/fishy story.

Fortunately for her, I am not the practical types. I gave her the 40 Ringgits that she was asking for. She barely thanked me before jumping in her car. She did not ask me for my number or tell me that she would try and return the money!!! This made all this look even more strange. But, I walked away giving her a benefit of doubt.

I hope I have not been duped. I would feel disappointed (not embarrassed or cheated) if I come to know that people have been doing such things to make quick money. I do believe that world needs people who do not always think practically and try to help out complete strangers.

No comments: