Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Craze over new phones/technology

Another iPhone has been launched amidst worldwide excitement and euphoria. Several friends have been having multiple orgasms and have expressed their excitement on various social media platforms. Though I am not and have never been an iPhone user (or Apple user), such excitement always manages to engulf me and makes me curious.

I asked my friends and family members that why is iPhone 6, the newest member of iPhone family, better than its predecessors and other smartphones in the market. I have realized over the years that it is a wrong question to be asked by a Samsung user to any ardent iPhone fan. However, my curiosity prevailed my apprehension and I went ahead with the question.

What I got was a feeling of Deja Vu. I got the same response that I had got last year and the year before and the year before. I am not saying that nothing has changed in iPhones over the past few years. What I realize is that several (not saying 'most' to avoid getting pounced) iPhone users are not technology savvy enough to understand the changes. 

I have concluded that it is the brand or brand loyalty that fascinates them or makes them purchase every new product. Moreover, it is the 'status-symbol' aspect that fascinates them. Nothing wrong with either. However 'loyalty' and 'showing-off', after the 'safe level', become craze and start making the affected individual look crazy!!!

I am not trying to ridicule their purchase though. I am sure iPhones in general and iPhone 6 in particular must be offering several exciting features and benefits to the users.

However, I do not believe in purchasing the new version of a phone/brand as soon as it is launched. The rate at which phones are getting launched these days, it is impossible to keep up with the latest technology. And it is impossible to fight an argument that your phone is better than the latest phone in the market. Every new phone offers something new and/or is cheaper. So, everyone can defend their purchase. So, loyalty is fine but purchasing a phone as it has the best technology in the market is crazy. Especially when most people do not even understand these technologies.

My phone, Samsung Note 2, is 2 years old. Since then Note 3 has been launched. Note 4 has already been introduced and will be available with one month. So, am I tempted to purchase a new phone? Not at all. The reason being that I am happy with the overall package. 

  • I can make calls (I hope all phones can do that!!!)
  • I can download hundreds of applications (all smartphones can do that)
  • I can download most of those applications for free (hmmm...not all smartphones offer that)
  • I can comfortably watch movies and work on my phone as it has a big screen (not all phones have such a big screen and can boast of such comfortable viewing experience)
  • I can plug a USB and can download movies and music (not all phones can offer that)
Another big reason for not even thinking about any change is the 'exit barrier'. I have a multimedia dock and extra-battery kit for the specific model, which ensure that my phone never runs out of juice and help me in easily connecting my phone to mouse, keyboard, television etc. I can work comfortably on my phone. Of course I cannot prepare decks on my phone but I can 'comfortably' (that is the key word) browse internet, respond to my work mails, view attachments - without opening the laptop. So, why should I change my phone?

That brings us to the question that do I feel iPhones are completely useless? Not at all. I firmly believe that iPhones have the best interface and technology. Absolutely no denying that fact. However, I do not want to pay for most applications and download music and movies through iTunes. I prefer Samsung over iPhone as I am prepared to compromise on interface in order to get user-friendliness.

I do not ridicule iPhones as I know they are better in various aspects. However, I am happy with my phone and I am not compelled to change it....till it conks off!!!

No comments: