Monday, September 15, 2014

'Being Funny' vs 'Making Fun'

I hate it when people try to be 'funny' and unnecessarily pass a comment on someone. Has happened many a times. Sometimes I ignore, yesterday I did not. Or rather could not.

Had recently heard a quote by a stand-up comedian that "Mazaak woh hota hai jispar sab hanse. If everyone is laughing except the person who is the subject or target of the joke, then you are doing something wrong"!!! 

It is actually that simple. Yet people cross the line.

Had a spat with a friend. In the past few months, this has happened few times but it clearly happened one too many times. He is not a close friend; just a classmate from school. Was not my best friend then as well. However, the depth or seriousness of our friendship does not matter. The point is that he is a friend and we share a Whatsapp group as all of us in the group collectively cherish those days and try to relive those beautiful memories.

The last time we had a spat was around the Indian elections time. The reason - we have different political beliefs. However, if you try to impose your beliefs on me or try to troll my beliefs then I will of course defend my beliefs. After all, I am neither a person who easily starts following someone nor I am a pushover. Unfortunately for him, I had too many facts to fight and defend my case. That spat had got ugly since it was on social media. Few others made some comments and he got pissed. Childish but chalta hai. Aakhir dost hai and as they say, har ek friend zaroori hota hai!! We patched up and I moved on. It seems he did not.

Yesterday, he passed a silly and unnecessary comment on me. I retaliated and gave it back. He tried to be even more funny but in the process and by making some silly comments, he slipped into a territory where I could have ridiculed him. And I do not miss such opportunities in arguments. It went on and on. Then came the classic 'potential knock-out' punch from him. He made a comment about my looks. It is not that overnight I have become 'massively overweight'. I pretty well know it and I am quite used to such comments. More often than not, I am the one making such comments about myself!!! So his potential KO punch did not quite land. But it made the argument even more intense. One has to know what is that 'thing' that will piss the opponent off and drive him/her crazy. Unfortunately, since we 'were friend' (will explain later), I knew about such things. To cut the long story short, I made him super-pissed.

He has left the Whatsapp group (again) and has blocked me on Facebook. That is why I said we 'were friends'. Pretty silly and childish!!!

I would like to tell you my friend that if you plan to make fun of someone, be sporting enough to be target of and accept their jokes/comments as well. If you are so sensitive then you should not piss people off. Definitely not me. 

BTW your warning that if you meet me, you will beat me (dho dalunga) was hilarious!!! Huzur kabhi sewa ka mauka dijiye, saari galat fahamiyaan door kiye denge. And you think that if you are 'Punjabi Jatt', you can beat anyone!!! Seriously??? I think you take your Punjabi crappy songs way too seriously!!! Sikhs are certainly pretty macho. My theory is Sikhs have 3 balls (and not 2 like most men). Two are where they should be and one is in their turban. It is the third ball (the one in turban), which is filled with 'all' the machismo!!! It is a pity that you have cut it off!!! So, Mr. Punjabi Jatt....Parrey Hatt!!!

Jokes apart, "I will beat you if you meet me", "dho daalunga", "saamne mat aana" etc., no longer suit us. I am definitely too mature (avoiding 'old') for such talks. All that talk was okay in school. Now we should grow up and have meaningful discussions, debates and....arguments. If you want to join the group, please be my guest. I would be cordial with you. But if you are expecting that I will come and request you to come back....nope, biwi thode na ho meri!!!

No comments: