Friday, September 19, 2014

An Enigma called Ram Gopal Varma

Let me start by making an honest confession, which will probably erode my social circle even further. I like the movie 'Sarkar', which is an adaptation of 'The Godfather' more than the original!!! I know it is hard to believe but it is what it is!!!

I would not say that I am a fan of Ram Gopal Varma but I do believe that he has the potential to make truly world-class movies. He is best when it comes to dark movies about crime and underworld. He can be pretty okay with horror genre as well. Yet, he churns out one shitty movie after another!!! That truly baffles me.

How can a director who has made movies like 'Satya', 'Company', 'Sarkar' 'The Attacks of 26/11' and 'Kaun?' also make movies like 'Ram Gopal Varma ki Aag', 'Naach', 'Shiva' (new one) and 'Department'? Even some of his horror movies like 'Raat', 'Darling' and 'Bhoot' have been quite good/okay.

There is no denying the fact that he lacks consistency. That coupled with his attitude makes him quite a unpopular person on social media. He has become a joke in the league of KRK!!! 

I find it extremely strange. The question that I ask is 'does he really care'? I do not know how good/bad/ugly is he in terms of financials but I hope he understands that movie making is not only about creativity, art and joy. The movies need to make sufficient money so that you can make another one. He makes so many movies so I guess he does not have financial issues but the rate at which his movies are tanking at box office, he may soon lose market confidence or simply run out of gas. 

To his credit, RGV is one of the few directors who keep experimenting. There are few others who are similar. Anurag Kashyap is a great example but he IS from 'Ram Gopal Varma School of Film Making'. Anurag agrees that he has learnt a lot from RGV!!

There are 'lesser-Directors' who do not experiment much and make nonsensical movies but they make truck loads of money. Rohit Shetty can make interesting and entertaining movies but can also make absolute crap. Sajid Khan is class apart when it comes to making stinky-shitty-crappy-bullshit. Karan Johar makes 'goodie-goodie' movies. They are not 'story-tellers'. They are just 'story-sellers'. 

RGV is certainly better than these directors but he is trying hard to prove this wrong. I wonder how does he select a story. If he is good enough to understand that a story like 'Satya' would work (especially in the time when it was made) and is good enough to make a masterclass out of that story, why cannot he understand that a movie like 'Naach' or 'Department' would not work. Or does he do all that because it makes HIM happy? Does he get engulfed by his desire to try out new things so much that he forgets that people would come to watch the movie in hope of seeing the kind of magic that only he or only few can create in Indian cinema? Does he treat movies like 'Department' or 'Agyaat' as laboratories for testing out new things?

Hindi movies enjoy decent popularity here in Kuala Lumpur. Whenever people (Malaysians, Chinese and people of Indian-origin) ask me which movies should they watch, I do suggest 'Satya', 'Company' and 'Sarkar' along with others. I am sure most of them curse me after watching these movies as they are mostly 'Sharook Kan' fans!! Yet, I suggest these movies as these are movies that I feel proud of!!! I do not know the reason but I guess I am happy that Indian directors can make such movies. I call these movies as 'RGV Signature Movies'. 

Amidst all the 'tests' that he conducts, I hope he delivers his signature movies every now and then.  However, I feel if something gives him happiness, he does not care about what others think or want. I think he is in a different world where he does things that truly please him. 

He is the Howard Hughes of our times!!!

No comments: