Saturday, August 11, 2012

Travel Ready

I am supposed to travel a week from now but I have already started packing. I must say this is early even by my standards!!!

Typically, I start making plans or a list of things to carry much before the actual date of travel. This ensures that I do not miss anything significant during my trip. In any case, people who are fond of photography have to do extra packing. 

I think through the entire trip. It goes like...I need a cab to take out RM 80 for that...on return we will need RM 120-130 so carry that sum as well....3.5 hours flight so I need so much movies/music/games on my tablet. However, the tablet wont last the entire journey so carry some other source of entertainment. I need to carry so much Indian currency for the taxi and other requirements during the train ride. In India, I have to go to two banks and deal with another. They may ask for XYZ documents, photographs etc etc and so I have kept multiple copies of the documents that I think they 'may' ask for. 

To add to that, I consider the worst case scenario for everything. "What if they do not allow hand baggage more than a certain weight limit....I should carry an empty bag to be able to check-in any extra hand baggage". I make list for everything!!!

More often than not, I end-up carrying 2-3 times more stuff than I actually need. Since, this is going to be my first international return, I am planning all the more to ensure that I do not get into any hassles.

As I said, this is early even by my standards. There are two reasons to it...(a) what if I do not get enough time in the coming week due to existing or new work in the office (another worst case scenario) and (b) there is nothing better to do. I am getting royally bored.

During this process, I have also been complimenting myself. I looked for some old documents, which I need to carry and was able to find them quickly. I could also find every piece of my camera equipment in absolutely no time. It is not that I keep things in the right place. My stuff remains all over the house. Every cabinet, every drawer, every room. It is just that I know my mess.

I have already packed my hand baggage. There will be two carry-on bags....a laptop bag, which will have the ticket, passport, other key documents, hard disks and of course the laptop. The other will be camera cum 'entertainment' bag. Both these bags are almost ready to travel. Only the laptop is missing....since I need it to write meaningless blog posts. I have already 'laid' the suitcase that I am planning to carry in a manner, which will help me in packing. Most of the 'to-be-carried' stuff has been placed around the waiting suitcase so that it can gobble everything quickly. 

Luckily, there is nobody at home <'luckily' only from the 'mission packing' stand point> because right now, if someone shifts anything from its place, I will certainly explode!!! 

I just realized that, though I hate him, there is little bit of Sheldon Cooper in me.

No comments: