Sunday, January 15, 2012

Straight from the heart.........

Few comments after India's defeat against Australia in the Perth Test;
  • Who says nothing positive came out of the test match. Dhoni has been banned from the Adelaide test due to slow over-rate. That increases India's chances of doing well in the fourth test manifolds. There would be a better captain for the match and a better test batsman would come in. That is a HUGE positive
  • Dhoni indicated that after the series he would start thinking about a 'thoughtful' way of phasing out the seniors. Though I totally agree that the seniors should be phased out, I think Dhoni should also put some thoughts about his future in the test team. He has been bringing the team down and he should expedite his decision of giving up test cricket
  • Social networking sites are full of comments about how the seniors should be 'kicked out' from the team. As I have mentioned, I agree that the seniors should be 'phased out'. And I think Sachin, inspite of playing decently in this series, should also think about puting a end date to his glorious career. A lot of people are calling for his head but strangely, I have noticed that a lot of those people are die-hard Ganguly fans!!! At least thats true with people in my friend list. Some of them would start jerking off in excitement if tomorrow Ganguly gets selected for the test side but for now, they want the 'seniors' to be 'kicked out'. Guys, please do not use offensive words against Sachin (or Mr. 100th 100 as some have been calling him on Facebook). He is a legend. Just because you have a bitter taste in your mouth and you want your favorite player to be not the only one to be 'kicked out' of the team, you should not say offensive things about Tendulkar. I respect Ganguly and I genuinely feel that he was mistreated. I think players of the stature of Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman deserve a decent farewell and I stand by it
  • It is easy to blame the seniors for the humiliating performance. It is easy to say that okay these guys are 38-39 years old, they are 'not getting any younger' (as if everyone else is!!!), they are slow in the field etc. Good points but look at their records. No, do not open the history books. Look at their records in the past two years. Sachin and Dravid have been by far the best players in the Test team. Still, like most others, I want them to be phased out. I do not want them to be 'kicked out'. I am not blaming them for this disasterous tour and the last one. I just think that they deserve better and they are better off not playing for much longer
  • Few months back, I had heard a Kapil Dev interview about how to phase out the seniors. He had suggested that in any test match, only 2 seniors should be included in the playing XI. That will help in giving exposure to an additional new talent. I think that was a brilliant idea. However, I think (or I hope) that there may not be a need for that. I hope Laxman announces that he would retire from all forms of cricket after the Adelaide test. That way, there could be farewell for him. He should not even dream of 'proving everyone wrong' or 'silencing his critics' as he is not likely to get that chance. This will help in testing another cricketer. Sachin and Dravid should continue for a 'little more time'. Till we are confident that we have a good enough team to field without them. However, in this period as well, they should skip matches. That will help in testing a new No.3 and 4 on a regular basis. In the next series, Laxman should definitely not be there and he should make that call himself. And Sachin and Dravid should play alternate games. They should help in building a team for the future and sign off 

No comments: