Sunday, November 27, 2011

You should know that I know

A conversation that took place some time back....

He: Sir, suna team bandh ho rahi hai?
Me: Confirmed to nahi hai but lag raha hai aisa....parent company kaafi teams band kar rahi hai across the globe
He: Sir kab tak pata chalega?
Me: Mujhe pata chalega to main to tujhe bataunga hi na
He: Sir, suna aapko koi offer mil gaya hai?
Me: Nahi yaar, agar aisa hota to tujhe bolta main
He: Sir, sab to yahi bol rahe hain...mil gaya hai to bata do
Me: Arre nahi mila hai bhai....lekin ek-do jagah baat chal rahi hai
He: Hmmm...Sir mera to nahi ho raha hai kucch....bahut try kar raha hun....
Me: Pareshan mat ho....ho jaayega...
He: Sir, kahin kucch lead hai kya? Jahaan baat kar rahe ho wahaan mere liye bhi baat kar lo na...
Me: It wont look good but I will try when I can.....trust me
He: Sir, dekh lo....kucch kara do.....
Me: Pakka....poori koshish karunga...CV bhej apna....main try karta hun
He: Thank you Sir

He thought that he disconnected the phone and started talking on another line.......Here is how that conversation went. (Of course, I do not know who was he speaking to (though I have a fair idea) and what was the other person saying)

He: Yeh to bol raha hai ki iska nahi hua hai!!!..........
He: Arre, isko kya problem hai.....24-25 ka package yahaan tha.....thode din baith bhi jaayega to kya hoga....
He: Haan, yahaan aise paise utha raha tha and iske upar waali 35-40 utha rahi thi....Inko kya problem hai....
He: ....baahar koi poochega nahi inko.....
He: Haan chal, main aa raha hun waapas Hyderabad. Aa kar baat karte hain....kucch pata chale to bataana. Chal rakhta hun abhi.

This conversation shocked me....I was wondering why did he speak about me in that manner? 

I have always been friendly with him, have helped him whenever possible....in office and outside.  Why do some people talk to you with respect only when they are in front of you? I never asked him to call me "Sir" and I did not deserve to be talked about in this manner either. People always complained about his attitude and rightly so....but I chose to ignore a lot of things and defended him on several occasions. He is young and immature and I chose to let him be. After all, till work or work culture is not getting affected, everything is okay. 

This incident disturbed me a lot after all I have always shared a good rapport with most of the people who have worked with me. I discussed this incident with a lot of people who are close to me. Everyone told me that I should ask him the reason....and not help him in any manner. 

However, for some reason, I did not take that path. Even after this incident, I helped him in many ways. I recommended him to colleges, I referred him in companies and mostly said good things about his attitude and exaggerated his skills/abilities. In fact I referred him in the company that I now work with!!!....I could have easily not done all that. I could have easily screwed his happiness. But I thought he is young and probably everyone talks about his/her Manager like that. I chose to ignore the incident but I will be lying if I say that it does not affect me any more. 

The guy of course does not know that I know. He continues to talk to me with respect but at the same time he asks for help in a manner as if I owe him something. I really do not owe your anything buddy. As I see it, YOU owe me a lot as even after this incident, I have gone out of my way to help you. During my last few days in India, when I really wanted to spend as much time as possible with my family, I spent a lot (read: A LOT) of time writing recommendations for you. And, I will still help you in any way that I can but I want you to know that I know.  

No comments: