Friday, September 10, 2010

Corporate Arm-Twisting

When a person joins a new company, he/she checks out all the aspects regarding the company. The salary structure, the various policies, work culture are all taken into consideration by a candidate before making a decision to join a company. So, before joining a company, the person knows what he/she is stepping into.

Now, what if the company tweaks its policies without any prior notice after the person joins?? Isn't it unfair....or illegal? Isn't an employment a kind of "contract" between two parties. The roles and responsibilities of either parties (employer and employee) are defined. How can the "terms" of the contract be altered midway!!!?? If that has to happen, shouldn't both parties know about the likely change??? Shouldn't both parties know the exact date from which the change will come into existence??

I understand that in case of an employment, the employer has every right to change few things. That is the reason why some things are kept flexible. For example, the bonus component is flexible and the pay-out depends on several factors. However, there are some areas in which sudden change should not be allowed. An employer should not be allowed to suddenly lower the designation, salary etc of an employee. In the same manner, an employer should not be allowed to suddenly increase the notice period of an employee. If an employer wants to do that, enough notice should be given to the employee to choose the best course of action for him/her.

The organization that I work for has increased the notice period duration from 1 month to 3 months!!! And I was not given any prior notice. On 6th September, I was given a new contract which stated that starting 1 August, my notice period will be 3 months instead of 1 month that was told to me when I was joining the company. I was given two days to sign the contract!!! This change has been made for all senior employees. I understand that every company wants to retain its employees, especially the senior ones and wants to safeguard its interests. But at the same time, it has to be fair to its employees. In my books, it is nothing but arm-twisting and should not be allowed. I know that most people will tell me that if I do not like it, I should quit. Ya, that is an option but its still unfair.

Sent from a mobile device

No comments: