Monday, August 23, 2010

Ranchi: Whats New...Whats Not

During my last trip to Ranchi in August 2010, I noticed that the city has changed a lot. I left Ranchi in the year 2001. Though I have visited the city 4-5 times since 2001, Ranchi looked very different this time around. Following are some of the changes I noticed;
Positive Changes
  1. Late Night Movie Show: This was unthinkable in 2001
  2. Multiplexes: To the best of my knowledge, there is one already operational and a few more are in line
  3. Nice Restaurants, Pubs and Coffee Shops: Now the foodies have the option of italian, mexican, thai food in Ranchi!!! On top of that there are several other places (pubs, coffee shops) to hang-out. I wish all these places were there back in 2001
  4. Great Hotels: I have not been to all but I have been to Capital Hill and Chanakya BNR. Both of them are great hotels. Chanakya BNR has a great value for money. Can you imagine a double bedroom with facilities like any 4 star hotel at a rate of 1700 per day!!!
Negative Changes
  1. Traffic: It has become pathetic. The number of vehicles on the road has increased but roads have not become any wider. Hence, total chaos
  2. Old shops have disappeared: Some old shops with nostaligic value have disappeared and have given way to big complexes
  3. No longer a laid-back small town: The relaxed charm of the city has disappeared
What has not changed....and may never change
  1. Dharnas, protest marches and bandhs
  2. Electricity problem
  3. Pollution

No comments: