Sunday, May 9, 2010

Everything else is secondary

Short while back, I was standing in a queue in a mall to get my new trousers altered. Since the mall is running several offers, there was a huge crowd. I was waiting for my turn in the queue when I heard the guy in front me pleading with the guy on the counter to alter and return his trouser before 7pm. He tried everything. He tried the "not from Hyderabad and have to reach somewhere" reason (usually works)...."have to attend my cousin's engagement"...etc etc. The counter guy did not budge. However, after 5-7 minutes, counter guy showed some generosity and changed the delivery time from 7 pm to 6:30 pm. The shopper agreed and left the queue with an unsatisfied look.
Then came my turn. After taking all the details the counter guy, without looking at me, loudly announced...."7 PM". I just said "match miss karwaogey" (you will make me miss the match). He looked at me....smiled....and changed the time to 5 PM!!! India plays West Indies in the T-20 Cricket World Cup today and the match starts at 7 pm IST. Cricket is supreme and nothing else matters!!!

No comments: