Monday, February 15, 2010

Change in Career

"Lets do something else", "For how long will we do this work", "Lets start something of our own", "I want to do something that really excites me". Those are the typical topics of discussion when I hang out with my friends (usually, I am the one who triggers such topics). And such discussions become all the more interesting after a couple of pegs!!! Apart from the drinking sessions, this topic always pops up on Monday mornings!!! Understandably so.
Everyone seems to be bored of his/her job but "cannot" think of a way out!!! Some people cannot take the risk, some have capital constraints.....the list is endless.

In my case, there are multiple reasons. There is no capital; there is a huge risk involved etc etc. But the biggest problem is that I cannot make my mind regarding which "new career" to pick. There are several things that excite me. I decided to list some of them;


  1. Photography. I would love to leave my job and turn into a professional photographer. I admit that I hardly know about cameras (people think I do but when I talk to professionals, I come back with a long face). But I have the enthusiasm to learn.

  2. Restaurant. I would love to start a restaurant. I have made plans to open a restaurant a zillion times with multiple friends (read: prospective business partners). But each time it has hit a roadblock with a sign called "No Capital". I think a better option will be to start a catering business first. Its comparatively low risk as it requires lesser capital and one can gain good knowledge to take bigger risks

  3. Travelogue: I am not sure about the business potential of this particular option. I want to do it as I love travelling, clicking pictures and writing about the trips.

  4. NGO. Sometimes I feel like leaving everything and working for a cause. Not that I have reached the "Self-Actualisation" stage in Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Its just that I feel that it will give me immense satisfaction. I would like to work for the elderly but I am afraid to do that as it makes me too emotional. I want to be part of "Project Tiger" or "WWF".

Those are some of the many things in my mind. I am confused....I am afraid of taking the risk....and sometimes I stop by telling myself that probably I am trying to find an easy way out. The bottom line is that I am not doing what I want to do. But ya, I am sure I am not an endangered species as there millions like me!!!

2 comments:

रश्मि प्रभा... said...

restaurant aur ngo me hum saath denge.......darna kya hai, marzi ki zindagi jee kar to dekho

Iya said...

i have a friedn who has been very closely associated with WWF.Let me know if u need a connect..