Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pondicherry: A Laid-Back Holiday Destination





Since last 4 years, I had been making plans to visit Pondicherry. During my a year and half stay at Bangalore, I must have made a plan for each weekend but it never happened. Finally, last year in October, I managed a trip to Pondicherry.

I had heard a lot about the place. A clean and planned town thats pretty "laid-back". People used to tell me that there is not much to do at Pondicherry and its for those who enjoy looking at the sea for hours and walking on the beach. So my expectations were well set. I did not land over there to have a happening vacation.......I found it simply great!!! And I went over there again in December last year.

Pondicherry is three hours drive away from Chennai. The drive itself is pretty enjoyable, given one is taking the East Coast Road. From Chennai till Pondicherry, the road runs parallel to the sea. I wish I had driven the vehicle. The road is great and one can easily drive at 100+ speed. An AC cab from Chennai to Pondicherry costs between 1,600 to 2,200 Rs.

Its a place tailor made for tourists. It presents zillions of options for everything. Be it the food that you want to have or the kind of place you want to stay in or the budget that you have...Pondicherry has a perfect option for you.

The first time we went to Pondi, we stayed at Ashok Beach Resort. It is a hotel with government backing. The tarriff is not low but the standard is. 4K for a room a day wont seem too much but wait till you have a look at the room. The facilities are pretty basic. The rooms do not even have a locker or a cupboard that you can lock on your own. The restaurant is sad as well. BUT....the resort has a private beach!!! Now, one limitation that Pondicherry has is that it has hardly any beaches. Ashok is probably the only resort/hotel that has a private beach. And thats a major plus. The place is outside Pondi (11 kms outside). Stay over there for the private beach and if you have arranged for a vehicle.

In the second trip, we stayed at Ginger Hotel. It was December. We went over there on Christmas Eve. So, we did not have much options left. Ginger was one of the few options and it was coming out to be pretty inexpensive. But Ginger truly surprised us. It was our first stay at Ginger. The rooms are pretty nice and clean. They are small but they have most of the things that you would require. Moreover, they do not charge you a fortune. I have this funda that any place you go, you should spend the least on accomodation. Then use all the money to explore the place, buy things, eat and............of course drink. I found Ginger pretty impressive and I recommend it to everyone.

Whenever we go to any tourist place in India that far away from our home, we have to depend on city tour operators/hired cabs to explore the city. Thats never a pretty good idea as one misses out on the true flavor of the place. Pondicherry is one of the very few places in India where you can hire a two-wheeler (bike, scooter, bicycle). A personal vehicle provides the required mobility. In both the trips, we did exactly that. The better bikes are reserved for the firangs as they pay better. So, in the first trip I got a Honda Activa!!!! (poor machine). But in the second trip, I managed to get a Pulsar. That was the best thing that could happen. It made the trip pretty enjoyable and we could visit a lot more places.

Another plus point of Pondicherry is its diverse culture. It is a former French colony and that provides a different flavor. Moreover, the Aurobindo Ashram at Pondicherry attracts tourists from all parts of the globe. And several of those tourists come and stay at Pondicherry for long periods. One area where this diverse culture has had extremely positive impact is the food!!! You will find some great bakeries, some french restaurants, fast food places, breakfast places....everything. And we tried most of them. If you are at Pondicherry, I suggest you start your day early. Do not have the breakfast in your hotel, even if it is complimentary. Try some of the great breakfast places that they have. Do not expect any lavish stuff....remember "Pondicherry" and "laid-back". There is one place right on the turning for Auroville. (Its right there on the main road and is next to the turning). Then on the Auroville approach road, you will find some small but great places. These are more like shacks. The waiter will also be the cook. the microwave might be right next to your table. Nothing fancy but they give the true flavor of Pondicherry. And one must try the "Bakery Boulangerie". They offer some great pasteries and breads.

There are not many places to see. One should go to Auroville but apart from that there is nothing much. The best place to spend some time is the beach road. Between certain hours, the traffic cops block the entry of vehicles on the beach road. And then hundreds of people come out and walk over there. Even if you are not much of a "Johnnie Walker" (I admit, thats a bad joke), you will still enjoy walking on the beach road. The atmosphere, the sound of waves hitting rocks, everything is simply great. Even driving/riding on the beach road in the late night is awesome. At this point, I will once again emphasise that it is a good place for those people who want to have a laid-back (this adjective keeps popping up and quite naturally so) holiday. It is not for people who want to have a happening vacation.

I dont have much more to write but I am not content. I liked the place so much that I am getting this feeling that I am not doing proper justice in describing the place. But then, I cannot paint that amazing picture with plain words. Go over there to experience the place.

1 comment:

Shyam Srinivas K said...

I like to introduce myself as Shyam, Webmaster of www.pondicherry.net.in. I am an IT professional who love my native city, Pondicherry. Over the years I have entertained and helped many visitors to our city. It's been fun. However, one common feedback I have received from many of them has been that there is a lack of structured information about Pondicherry on the web.

So I decided to create a website with all the information that we believe a visitor might want. I realized that as we have lived here for more than two decades and have entertained so many guests, over time I have come up with a list of places that people seem to like. So I threw in a personal touch and came up with a list of places that we think will make you return to our city, and hopefully to this website.

If you have a chance please visit www.pondicherry.net.in

I would be really thankful if you can visit the site and provide me your valuable suggestions and feedbacks about the site.


Thanks and Regards,
Shyam
Email : shyam@pondicherry.net.in
Website : www.pondicherry.net.in