Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Are we too liberal?

Recently, I watched the movie "Shaurya". It is inspired by the hollywood flick "A Few Good Men" but is not in any manner a loose adaptation. The plot may be similar but the issue is pretty different. The movie shows a Brigadier in the Indian Army who, due to some unfortunate incidents in his life, has developed extreme hatred towards muslims. He is a devoted soldier, a patriot but he wants to kill all muslims. His ways and actions are way too extreme and like most Hindi movies, the truth triumphs in the end, and the Brigadier goes to jail. I am not here to discuss the movie. But the issue that I am concerned about has a close link.
Except those of us who are part of any Hindu extremist party or group, everyone else must have agreed to and liked the end of the movie. Forget about others, I liked the end. There is no place for such radical ideologies in an organization like the Indian Army....or for that matter, anywhere. No matter what had happened to the character in personal life, nothing can justify such actions. In real life, any such actions should be severely punished.
There have been several terrorist attacks on India. Most of those are conducted by muslims. Being a very patriotic person, I feel bad whenever such an incident takes place. But I have nothing against the muslims. I do not generalize. I do not have extremist ideologies and I certainly do not want all the muslims to killed. I feel that they are as much a part of my country as I am. But I do think that we are very liberal towards some of them.
Coming to the point that I want to make, there was an incident that took place in Srinagar on 15th August 2008. In the morning, Indian Tricolor was hoisted in an area (I think it was called Lal Chowk). By the evening, hundreds of people gathered in that area, they ripped the Indian flag and burnt it. They put the flag of Jamaat-e-Islami (which looks like the Pakistani flag). They were shouting the pro-pakistan slogans like, "Jiyo, jiyo Pakistan, hum hain Pakistani" (Long Live Pakistan, we are Pakistanis). I truly wish the Brigadier from the movie was there. Any act of disrespect towards India and Indian flag should not be tolerated. The army/police/CRPF should have opened fire on those bastards and killed each one of them. I agree that each one of them might have a story to tell or a scar to show but nothing....NOTHING AT ALL can justify such actions. Anyone should try burning a Pakistani flag in Pakistan. People will burn the person alive. But, for some inexplicable reason, we are way too liberal.
I do not think I need to state this, but for the record, I have nothing against the muslims or any other community. But, I want all those people who show or have shown disrespect towards my country to burn in HELL. Period.
Wanted to write this since last several months. Feeling slightly relieved but not happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey it was great going through your blog......and you write well......the letter to the chief was good.....i am a commanding officer of a tank unit in the indian army so let me see if i can furthur your feeling......not that it will be accepted but will make great reading......keep on buddy......great show.....neil john, (col)