Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Wednesday on a Saturday Night

Yesterday, I watched the movie, "A Wednesday". It is a classic case of movie reviews going horribly wong.


I had huge expectations from the movie. Afterall it has some great actors (Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher). The movie got great ratings from almost all movie critics. 4 stars out of 5!!! That's uncommon!!! Not many movies get such ratings. Not that I go by the ratings and reviews but they do play some role in decision making.

On Saturday, we planned to watch back-to-back movies. "Membai Meri Jaan" at 8 PM and then "A Wednesday" at 10:45 PM. When "A Wednesday" started, my expectations suddenly took a hit. Not that I was getting bored or anything. It was just that I had watched a very realistic movie in the previous show and a fictional movie on a similar theme would have been....well....unrealistic. I was thinking that the hangover of "Mumbai Meri Jaan" and my tall expectations from "A Wednesday" will kill my experience.

I was wrong. The movie was simply awesome. A great theme and superb performances. It was a thriller and had a great message. Anupam Kher has given a splendid performance but.....(I am just stating the obvious).....Naseeruddin Shah is brilliant. 

It is a must watch movie. And ya, if this movie gets "four stars " then "five stars" rating is fictional. The movie deserves nothing less than five stars and that is why the present ratings and reviews, though close, are horribly wrong.

I am glad that I watched the two movies back to back. Everything was perfect. The movies as well as the sequence. "Mumbai Meri Jaan" reflects "what it is".........and "A Wednesday" shows "What it should be". Go watch it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

No blogging, why ??? Want to hear about "Slumdog Millionaire" from you ... Nice writing ! Keep it up!!

-A Reader